Mothers’ Milk Bank is a member of the Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA) and follows their strict guidelines and restrictions for screening donors.
Watch the video below to learn more about the milk donation process.
To be eligible as a milk donor, one must:
- Be confident in her milk supply and produce milk in excess of her own baby’s needs
- Be willing to donate a minimum total of 150 ounces throughout her time as a donor with us
- Not have any medical condition that prohibits her from giving blood
- Be in excellent health without any chronic illnesses or history of major medical issues or cancer, including leukemia
- Have no history of hepatitis after age 11 or positive tuberculosis tests
- Be a non-smoker and refrain from using tobacco or marijuana products of any kind
- Have not received blood or blood products or organ or tissue transplants in the past 12 months
- Have no history of intimate contact with anyone at risk for HIV/AIDS
- Not be taking vitamin supplements that exceed 2000% Daily Value (DV)
- Take only approved medications and herbal supplements/teas. Mothers’ Milk Tea, fenugreek and any lactation support product containing fenugreek or other herbs is NOT compatible with donating.
- Not have any medical condition that prohibits her from giving blood (there are exceptions to this rule – please contact us if this applies to you).
- Consume less than 24 ounces of caffeinated beverages a day (2-3 cups of coffee)
- Wait 12 hours after drinking any alcoholic beverage to collect milk to donate
- Be motivated to practice exceptional hygiene and carry out careful milk collection and storage methods
- Be willing to undergo blood testing
- Be less than 18 months postpartum when collecting the milk
There are some exceptions to these guidelines. If you would like to discuss your eligibility with us, please contact us at 303.869.1888 or toll-free at 877.458.5503.
Click here for a list of common medications/herbs/teas and their waiting periods.
Donate Milk. Save Babies.
If you believe you might be eligible to become a milk donor, please fill out this short form. One of our lactation consultants will review your answers and contact you within a few days with information on the next steps in the donor screening process.
*Please note: Mothers’ Milk Bank is a 501(c)(03) nonprofit organization; however, just like other donations such as blood or tissue, human milk is not currently tax deductible.